Friday, August 10, 2007

New Tote Bag

Here is the tote bag I made for the fall/winter. I wear a lot of black in the winter and my new down jacket is plum. I made a summer version, too. I love this pattern http://www.quiltsillustrated.com/servlet/Detail?no=13 and I am teaching this class at the Franklin Mill in Franklin MA this fall. http://www.franklinmillstore.com/craft_classes.html

The photo below demonstrates the problem I had with the variegated thread I used (mentioned in a previous posting). The top half of the bag is before the alteration and the bottom is after. The fix is subtle but I am much happier now. I should have laid the thread out over the plum fabric so I could have seen that the light was too light. I fixed it by using a permanent fuchsia marker over the lightest areas of the thread. I don't like this solution but it was better than ripping out the stippling. I wanted the sample to be simple for people who want to make this bag but haven't done a lot of quilting. I put some jewels on it, of course, and I bought a hand made button at a quilt show.

1 comment:

Judy said...

What a great bag!! I'll have to check out that pattern.

xo