Sunday, July 29, 2007

dyeing to do it again


I dyed fabric yesterday with my friend Kathy. We had too much fun. We plan to do it again soon. We want to try painting the fabric and some dischargeing. We both said how we didn't think we would like to dye, it seemed like too much work, not anymore. We used zip lock bags, very easy and managable. I do think the PFD fabric was worth the price but next time I dye I will buy more than 10 yards ~ it wasn't enough!

Monday, July 23, 2007

summer post cards

Here are some post cards I made last week. I have gotten a lot of mileage out of that butterfly fabric! I need to send some thank you notes, farewell notes and I needed some samples. I have been practicing with my new machine and using the BSR (stitch regulator) feature. I love it, it is amazing to be able to machine quilt so easily. I am working on a few samples for classes I am teaching in the Fall at the Franklin Mill Store. They have a beautiful new artists studio! I am working on a Fall bag as a sample for a class and I used some variegated thread......I don't like it - I should have stopped right away but for some unknown reason I kept going. I solved the problem and when I have a chance to take some photos I will post the pictures.



My husband was on vacation last week and I had a lot of time to sew. He took the kids fishing and stuff and I was free to work (my interior design stuff) and quilting. I try to do my work first and then reward my self with time to quilt. He did put Homasote (good for the environment!) up on two of the wall in my "studio" so I have lots of design wall now. It is a paper like product that pins can easily penetrate. I need to paint it, it comes in an ugly gray color, but it looks great!
Maybe if I get it clean enough I will take some pictures :)

Saturday, July 14, 2007

Slice Houses

A friend moved to NC a couple of years ago and so as a gift to her 7 of us made the quilt below. I had the photo of her house here in Mendon blown up and separated into 8 sections, handed them out and said "have fun". We all did different techniques and as you can see the results were fabulous. I put the blocks together, put on the digitized border and quilted it. She loved it and it won a blue ribbon at our guilds show.



There was interest in my guild to do this type of quilt in a Round Robin so we are in the midst of doing two teams of eight houses each - 16 houses total. Below are photos of two of the houses. We have two blocks due every other month. Revealing the blocks to the owner is great fun. We began in January and we will be done with all of the blocks in October. The goal is for everyone to have them done for our next show in March of 2008.


I finished the block below last night with my brand new Bernina 440! I have been sewing on a Bernina 1130 for the last 11 years and love it, I kept it for work.


detail of the block

One thing that is important is to make the block a little larger than the photo to allow for seam allowance. The photo does have seam allowance in it but a little extra makes assembly easier.

my block and the photo used of my friends house