Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Home from Houston

Group quilt: blocks made by Jane Lowell, Carol Middleton, June Peckingham, Gail Niland, Linda Ramrath, Suzanne Thibeault, Louise Redding and Kathleen Murphy (front door). Borders and quilting by Kathleen Murphy


Well, I had the best time in Houston. Many, many thanks to Karey Bresenhan and Nancy O'Bryant (founders of the International Quilt Association) and their staff. It was all just so incredible! I would like to say hi to all of the great people I met last week. Meeting you all was the best part of this trip!


I had two awesome roommates. One from NE PA named Cathy Neri - she is an expert dyer and made me a gorgeous silk scarf. She made all the arraignments and she has been going to Houston for many years. The other roommate was Margarete Steinhauer. She is from Scituate MA. She won first place in the small art abstract category. You can see her quilt and all the other winners here~ http://www.quilts.com/fqf08/enVivo/ click on the Quilts: A World of Beauty button on the left side of the page. You can see the quilt she won first place in the same category in 2006 on the front page of her web site www.margaretesteinhauer.com/index.htm Her quilt sold on Saturday...It was really beautiful. Below is a picture of Margarete with the winning Tiara for the QuiltArt Reception hosted by Karey Bresenhan and Nancy O'Bryant. The ladies at stickball fashioned this one of a kind Tiara and loaned it to Margarete for the night. It was worth about $200.00! She won a beautiful and coveted Tiara pin from Karey's collection. The food was deliciuos too. I made a Tiara for the parade using my hand dyed fabrics and crystals but it fell out of the bag in the taxi on the way to the reception. I wore it the next day to lunch...and plan to wear it now and again at home:)


I enjoyed everything about the show: The award ceremony - sitting in front of Sharon Schamber (you can see her quilt at the top of the page of the winning quilts) It was the most beautiful quilt in the show, Preview Night - seeing the quilts in person, QuiltArt Reception - meeting online friends,The Silver Star Salute Dinner honoring Alex Anderson~ she gave a lovely speech (the winners speeches were wonderul too, including one from Japan who gave her speech in English), the vendors - I bought some crystals from Cheri's at www.cheriscrystals.com, some paints and goodies from www.artisticartifacts.com(thanks again for the help Judy), a quilting frame from Bernina, I bought some magazines and goodies at the Quilting Arts Magazine booth quiltingarts.com - those ladies had great Halloween costumes, and last but not least lots of fabric from many vendors. I shipped home a big box with purchases and I can't wait for it to get here, I almost forgot what I bought!
I encourage any quilter out there to join the IQA ~ they are a wonderful organization doing tremendous things for woman Quilts.org and Quilts.com.
I can't wait to go back and bring some friends from home so they can experience it all.

8 comments:

Cathy said...

Kathleen, I keep pinching myself --it was *such* a wonderful trip, and I was so happy to bask in the glow reflected by you and Margarete!

I'm sending hugs.
Cathy in NE PA

Jamie Fingal said...

Kathleen
It was a pleasure to meet you in Houston. Your art quilt is amazing - congratulations!
Jamie Fingal

Anonymous said...

Kathleen, It was great meeting you in Houston. I agree that it was really a super time!!

Judy Alexander said...

Kathleen, Congrats again on the win. Loved your group quilt. Great to meet you too.

norma said...

Hi Kathleen, You may remember meeting me at the QA reception, Cathy introduced us as we walked in. Your quilt is lovely.....congratulations on your win!

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

Congratulations on the ribbon. Sounds like you were right at home in Houston. You MUST post a pic of yourself in your tiara!

lizap said...

Congratulations! Sounds like a fabulous trip.

moonlightingquilts said...

It was a pleasure to meet you in Houston. I saw your quilt before I met you and I just loved it. It makes me want to be a part of a group quilt...well, maybe. Well done and a well-deserved ribbon.