Sunday, January 04, 2009

the happy and the sad

I have had so many things to blog about and written many posts in my head over the last month. We had a terrible tragedy in our lives last week. Our next door neighbor Ty Nakamura was killed in a car accident on Christmas Eve. He was 39, married to a lovely girl named Stephanie. They have a little boy who will be one in a few weeks and she is pregnant. Words can't express how sad we feel for her. This community has been fabulous in gathering around her to help her in any way they can. There is a fund set up to help her. Checks in any amount can be made out to: Stephanie Nakamura FBO the Ty Nakamura Memorial Fund and mailed to Milford National Bank,14 Hastings Street, Mendon, MA 01756. The other part of this tragedy is that the car that Ty was in the accident with also had a fatality and it was another neighbors 93 year old Grandfather. Such a sad loss for his family and such a terrible time to lose a family member.

Here are some of the things I wanted to blog about.

I got an email before Christmas that my Slice of Life quilt was chosen for the IQF 2010 Calendar! The note said they publishers from Martingale Press chose from 400 finalist. What an awesome thing. They also asked if I would lend them my quilt for their Chicago and California 2009 Shows....

I had a commission quilt to make for Christmas from a friend. She wanted to give her husband something special this year. She gave me photo (via Flickr) of her two Siamese cats. Here is the finished quilt.



I made a commissioned bag for someone for Christmas for her daughter. She chose the fabrics she thought her daughter would like and left the rest to me. The lining and pockets are vintage fabrics. The messenger style is fun to make.

Below is a picture of my family taken at the Murphy Family Christmas Party. We had a great time seeing everyone. My SIL Pat and BIL Dave did a wonderful job pulling it all together. We look forward to seeing everyone again soon!

Kevin and I just returned from NYC. We went for our 20th wedding anniversary. We stayed at the Warwick Hotel (lovely place) and were there from 12/30 to 1/2. We stayed in room 2009! Can you believe that? We didn't request that room, just lucky. The hotel was across the street from the MoMA (Museum of Modern Art) and they had a special exhibit of Van Gogh. It was terrific. There has often been discussion on the the Quiltart.com list about copying. I learned to become an artist by copying and it was how we were taught in College (I have a BA in Art). Several of the pieces in the MoMA are copies of others work or styles. One of Van Gogh's pieces specifically says that it is his translation of Millet's work. With 30,000,000 million quilters in the world (and billions of artists) there is nothing new that can be done, just translations.....
We also went to see Spamalot on Broadway! Hilarious even if you aren't a Monty Python fan. Clay Aiken was Sir Robin which made the show even more fun to watch. I am not a fan but he was great! We met a really nice couple from Canada on New Years Eve in Randolph's Lounge in the hotel. We met them again on New Years Day and it was great to get to know them. We talked about everything from fishing to politics! We hope we meet up with them again, they were really cool people.
Kevin built me a new sewing table...it's 4'x8' and he sunk both of my Bernina's into the top. We reorganized my sewing room to fit my new Bernina quilting frame. I will take some pictures when I am finished reorganizing.
Some of my goals for 2009 are; to make lots of Murphy Bags (I sold 25 in December) and quilts, enter some quilt shows and return to Houston.

5 comments:

Junie said...

Very sorry to hear about your neighbors.

And more fame for the Slice of Life quilt - that's awesome!

Happy New Year!

Corky said...

Congrats on the slice of life quilt! We spent a few days in NY a couple of weeks prior to your visit and also saw Spamalot. It was a fun evening.

Jenny Jane said...

Hi Kathleen

I met Ty and Stephanie in a childbirth class last year and later ran into them at the hospital because our sons were born two days apart. We hung out a couple of times afterwards and really thought they were great. I am so sad about the loss of Ty and want to do anything I can to help. I see that you have a lotsahelping hands website and I would love to be a member. My email address is vermettej@comcast.net - can you send me an invite to the site? It is a very nice thing you are doing for them.

Finishing Lines by K.Sperino said...

Love the finished cat quilt! Great dimension. Let's get together next week.

David H. said...

Ty was my neighbor and best friend back in his home town of San Jose, CA, when we were little. This was many years ago (around '73 to '78), but I can still remember going over to his house after school, playing with Star Wars toys and having snacks with his mom in the kitchen. He was a good friend, lots of fun to be around, and I'm sure he was the same as an adult. I moved away from S.J. when I was 8, and lost touch with Ty, but I just happened to be curious this afternoon about my childhood buddy Ty. I just discovered about this tragedy, and it breaks my heart. My sincere condolences go out to his family and all of you who were friends of Ty.