Tuesday, April 07, 2009

what makes something pretty?

I was asked to make a quilt for a woman as a gift from her friends. The recipient is a young mother with cancer. They wanted to put a piece of clothing from each of their (13 total) kids into the quilt as a reminder to their friend of all the love and memories they share. Below is the label they wanted to add to the quilt.



At first it was hard to design because I am used to making pretty quilts, coordinating fabrics, pretty patterns, etc. I decided after the quilt was done this was one of the prettiest I had made because of the love behind it:)
My daughters and I went to a shower last weekend for my niece. She is a lovely girl married to my terrific nephew. In the photo is Morgan 17, me, Jillian 15 and Paige 9 - with her new haircut.
I made this for the baby. It's a girl! I wanted to make her something she could take to sleepovers at Grandma's house. I consider it her first piece of luggage.


Her are my bags with my new label on them. I like the label and it seems others do too.

This is the new backpack I made. It has lots of room and it 8 pockets inside. The flap is heavily quilted and has lots of crystals on it.
I had some of my quilts professionally photographed by Andy Spencer He did a fantastic job.
This quilt was made using a photograph from a magazine. I made it in a year long class with Louisa Smith.

3 comments:

Nichole @ Stitchin' Heaven said...

Great post! You girls are gorgeous and I just love the bags!~

Finishing Lines by K.Sperino said...

Everything looks so nice- Kathleen. Tell the girls they look beautiful, and I love P's new do!!

Grace said...

Bag tags are great!

Your daughter's new "do" looks good too!