Friday, June 05, 2009

quilting with kids

Here are some of the blocks from Griffin's teachers quilt. He is 8 and in 2nd grade. I really respect the work teachers do and I am so thankful that my kids have had wonderful teachers:)
I love to go into the classroom and sew with the kids. A few years ago our guild did a community service project for a year making quilts from The Quiltmaker's Gift book. The idea was for us to go out into the community and make quilts with people who may not ever have the chance to sew or quilt. It was a huge success and it's legacy lives on in quilts like this.
The kids used my hand dyed fabric to create a unique butterfly. They are studying the butterfly life cycle in school. I had them sketch a butterfly on paper and use it as their inspiration. They used their neighbors scraps to decorate the wings, etc. I gave them each 12 crystals to embellish the butterflies wings.
I had lots of help from mom's who didn't sew but could iron, supervise, etc. This is a close up of the quilting - it was good to practice on my frame. I almost ran out of thread and called followthatthread.com and it was here the next day!
Here is the quilt! Can you believe these kids are in second grade? They pieced the quilt and they did a nearly perfect job, I am just amazed!
This is the label I made (I hadn't stitched around the pieces when I took the picture). I am going to have the kids sign the center for the teacher.

3 comments:

Antonija said...

Wow the blocks the kids made are just womderful! What a great gift for the teacher--I'm sure she'll cherish it forever. Great job, kids and moms!

ann said...

This is absolutely lovely in so many many ways. I really honor the work that you are doing. Wishing you JOY on your JOURNEY.

Diane D. said...

What a wonderful job by everyone involved!