Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Ted Kennedy

This picture was taken when I was in elementary school. My mother worked for the Melrose Evening News and he was planning a visit that day to her office. She let us miss school to see him. He was very nice as I recall and looking at the picture over the years I always thought he was handsome. My parents were divorced and I remember this seemed so much like a family photo. Also in the shot is my mother, my sister (in the cool patchwork blouse) and my brother John. He autographed the original photo "To the McKenna kids--nice to meet you! Ted Kennedy" We took it to school to show our teachers and classmates.

He is someone that cared about vets, firefighters, teachers and the vulnerable. I guess to a kid from Boston that was who we wanted as our Senator.

I got a notice from the AQS today that my quilt 197o's Corduroy was excepted into their Des Moines show. I was very happy to get a ribbon on it at the Lowell Quilt Festival. It was a teacher's choice award from Christine Fries Ureel. She was a featured quilter at the show. I wrote to her to thank her (she and I have been in contact because she is coming to my guild to lecture and teach in September) and she said she hadn't known it was "my" quilt. That was nice to know that she chose it because she liked and not because it was mine.
This is the border fabric and the inspiration for the piece. I used my hand dyed fabrics to make the flowers.






2 comments:

simply me said...

Suuper quilt! Lovely picture and thanks for your IBOL! Hopefully we can inspire others to get involved!

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

That is a wonderful family photo with Sen. Kennedy. What a memento! And I love your "Cordoroy" quilt.