Thursday, September 03, 2009

Comfort Quilts and more Blue Willow

My guild, Thimble Pleasures Quilt Guild, makes and donates comfort quilts. We have given quilts to hundreds of people. They go to people who are ill, lost a loved one, lost their home - basically anyone who needs comfort. My friend June made three tops just like this and let me quilt them while practicing on my Bernina quilting frame and my Bernina 440. I didn't take pictures of the first two but here is the third. I learn more every time I use it. I give you long-armers a lot of credit...it is very difficult! I did circles - varying sizes. I am practicing for my green and brown quilt for my bedroom.

I serge the edges of my quilts to keep them in good shape while they are being bound.
I washed the quilt so they are really puffy:) I had to wash it because the needle marks really showed on the white on white fabrics. Some of them had a lot of paint on them.

Below is the best shot to click on to see the quilting.

Below is a auction piece of the International Quilt Festival in Houston. I made it using left over pieces from my Blue Willow quilt (in an entry below). I had some trouble with my quilting on the white. I used a blue backing and every now and then you can see a hint of it. I should have used a white back. Lesson learned.
I had fun with my threads and stitches....
I appliquilted (did all my applique stitch after it was sandwiched with batting and backing) everything and now I am working on the quilting. It will be 20" x 20"when it's finished. I am really looking forward to going to Houston; seeing the quilts, vendors, friends, people, time away....

No comments: