Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Houston IQF 2009 part two

While I was in Houston at the International Quilt Festival I took a class with Patt Blair Her quilts are beautiful! The class was called "portraits eveyone can paint" We used tsukineko inks. I LOVED it. I can't wait to play with them again.

I chose to do a portrait of myself because I figured if it didn't come out good the person I chose wouldn't be happy:) I am pleasantly surprised at the results. It isn't easy to look at yourself and embrace how you really look!

This is how it looked right after the class.

I did added some more detail to the eyes and the teeth...
I added some borders...I used a piece of Christine Fries' hand dyed fabric...it was the perfect color wave for this. I only wish I had inked the background with another color. I could take the borders off and do it but I realized this is only for me, next time I use this flesh color fabric I will make sure I do something in the background. The dilemma is how do I quilt it?? I have to do some research on the best way to quilt the face, I don't want to ruin it!
Below is another class I took was called Magic Garden 3 D taught by Traci Lyn Huskamp and her mother in law Marilyn. They were great teachers and I learned so much in thier class. We used acrylic paints and a light table. Traci is a wonderful artist and photographer, too. I bought her book and I am so glad, it has tons of information in it.
On the left are the photo copies we used in the class ~ on the right are my results.

Here is the latest practice piece on chameuse with silk thread and silk batting. I have learned a lot doing this type of intense quilting. I hope to make a bag using this technique, the texture is so pretty. I am not sure what I will do with it.....



6 comments:

Cathy said...

Wow, Kathleen...you've been busy since IQF! Your self-portrait is even better than I remembered. You *GO*, girl!

linda said...

Wow, your work is amazing! Such skill...woohoo!

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

Lovely portrait and paintings! These workshops were perfect for you!

Leah said...

gorgeous work, kathleen!

norma said...

Your portrait is wonderful! Everyone must tell you that you have beautiful eyes, because you do.

Margarete said...

Kathleen, the quilting on silk is outstanding! Whose class did you do this in? And your self portrait! Wow, I think you should be very happy with the results. It looks like you!