Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Tote Tuesday fundraiser for the American Cancer Society

I made this bag for a friend. This is the second custom bag and wallet combination I have made for her. We went to the Franklin Mill Store to pick out the fabric.
She gave me a bag and wallet she liked as an example of what she wanted. I told her I couldn't copy another persons design ~ both legally and because I like to make my own style. I tried to stay within the same size for things but I also had to make it my own.

The pocket on the left would fit a cell phone and the one on the right has a zipper - I would use it for change.
I got this zipper in Houston at the 2008 International Quilt festival. I bought one in black too that I am saving for a new wallet for myself. I did the free motion quilting on my Bernina 440 and my stand up quilting frame. I have not done that before.
The interior has 8 pockets and I made her a check book cover (bottom right of the photo) to match.

She loved it and I am so glad. I love it too:) We talked about making a cover for her new digital reader to match. I got one of those fro Christmas from Kevin. It's a Sony Reader and I am reading Barbara Walter's book Audition. I plan to make a cool cover for it.

I read about a good cause on Facebook Tote Tuesday, a Fiberart For A Cause fundraiser for the American Cancer Society, will open Tuesday, February 2 and continue through March. I contacted Virginia and asked her if I could donate one of my bags. I chose this one. It is a messenger bag in happy bright (soon to be spring) colors.

I took some video so you can see the sparkle of the Swarovski Crystals....


video



I did some free motion quilting on the flap and added a striped welt. It has a cool pink Lucite buckle that I bought at the Franklin Mill Store.

Here is a detailed shot of the front flap. I love the colors in this fabric, just delicious!The interior has 8 pockets in two different fabrics ~ I do this because it helps keep me organized.

8 comments:

Sue Bleiweiss said...

Love both of these bags. That black and white set is really fabulous!

Kathleen McKenna Murphy said...

Thanks Sue! It's actually brown and white. It was really hard to find a brown fabric...plenty of solids but not many prints.

Cathy said...

And I'm so glad you're doing a Tuesday Tote for Virginia! There will be LOTS of fevered bidding, I'm sure.

Peggy Schroder said...

I agree with Cathy...you made need to get busy and make more of these. I love the black/white also!

Virginia A. Spiegel, Artist said...

Kathleen - I just gave your video a tweet. What a great way to showcase a great bag. So glad to have it for ToteTuesday! Virginia

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

Beautiful bags, as always. Love the soft feminine sparkly one that you made for Tote Tuesday.

lizap said...

Beautiful bags, as always! Love the zipper on the brown & white one. Such a lovely detail :)

Kay Koeper Sorensen said...

This bag is even more amazing in person. How do I know?
Because I was the lucky winner of it!