Tuesday, January 19, 2010

the quilt for us

I am making this quilt for our master bedroom. I started it at a weekend away with my guild in 2008. Our bedroom is sage and brown and I wanted a quilt for the summer.


We painted the ceiling and three of the walls sage and the fourth wall brown. I made the window treatments and bedding.


I made this quilt for the wall over the bed....I blogged about it in an earlier post. It's called Jade Willow.


This quilt is the reason I bought my Bernina Quilting Frame. I was anxious about getting the quilt on it but it all went pretty smoothly. I have struggled a bit with how to use this. My friend and professional quilter Kathy Sperino came over to show me how to load it on the frame, she was a great help!

Here is what it looks like for those of you that have not seen one.

I need to neaten up those cords...

Here is a closeup of my quilting....Pacing myself is still something I am learning....I am doing different stitches in each block with a coordinating thread. I am matching the drapes to the carpet (top thread with bobbin) so the back is a bit funky.

I got one row done (8 blocks) in about 8 hours. I have 6 rows plus borders so I m thinking at least 50 hours to quilt it.....

7 comments:

FoulkeArt said...

Beautiful colors, lovely quilt, and lovely work. What an ambitious project!

Sue Bleiweiss said...

Love the design and the color scheme of this quilt.

Linda M. Poole said...

I truly enjoy your blog so much!
Linda
http://www.lmpoole.blogspot.com

Finishing Lines by K.Sperino said...

It's really looking great Kathleen.

Jackie Russell said...

Beautiful colors. It looks like you are off to a great start on the quilting.

Mark said...

the colors are absolutly yummy! (from cathy w- this is my husbands gmail acct).

Judy said...

Wonderful quilt....and your bedroom is fantastic!

xo