Tuesday, February 02, 2010

playing with fiber

I'm psyched to have been able to get together with a couple of local art quilters to play with fiber in a experimental and fun way. I made this piece using triangles scraps placed on a piece of Mistyfuse. I couldn't stay as long as I liked because it was a half day of school but when I got home I was possessed to finish ~ while the kids played video games and ate cookies I continued on my journey to take this piece as far as I wanted. I added the hand-dyed circles I had already cut out for another project then I put down a bunch of Angelina and the used fusible thread with foiling. A technique I learned from Melody Crust in the workshop I took with  her in Houston in 2009.
I used a piece of silk batting I  had because I didn't want it to be too bulky. I quilted it with metalic thread using a random circle pattern...it was fun and easy:)
I wanted to use this for something so I decided to make a cover for my Sony Reader that I got for Christmas - a big surprise! I used my reader for my measurement and but the piece out a 1/2" bigger all around 8 X 14"
I cute 2 pieces that were 6" wide X 8" high, fused them to fusible batting and hemmed them on one side. I pinned the pockets to the outside (wrong side together) and did a wide satin (zig zag) stitch around the out side with a beautiful polyester thread.

I am currently reading Barbara Walters book Audition...it is very interesting.