Monday, April 19, 2010

Postcards made for soldiers April 2010

I went into Paige's 5th grade class on Friday to make fiber postcards with them. They each came in with the address of a relative, friend or neighbor serving in Iraq or Afghanistan.
I bought most of the supplies from my friend Shari Cronin. She sells these fabulous packets of themed postcard tops, stamped backs and the fast2fuse. It's really what makes the project with the kids possible.

I love the messages they wrote to the soldiers. This is also a good lesson in penmanship and correspondence ~ something we don't do much of with email and texting.
Paige's teacher, Mrs. Raymond, was a huge help. She knows how to sew and that was awesome. We were able to have two kids sewing all the time. We made about 24 postcards in two hours. I had the kids do the satin stitching around the edges of the postcard and they added Swarovski crystals when it was done. One of the students parents donated the postage. I hope they make someones day.
Little hands learning to sew....love it!

2 comments:

Vicki W said...

That is fabulous! It looks like it was a good day for everyone involved!

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

The postcards look great, and I love that the kids had a sewing day with you. During the first gulf war I was teaching a class of Learning Disabled first and second graders. We made Valentines and sent them to a soldier from a nearby town who was stationed in Iraq. When he came home, he came to visit our class and thanked us. Your postcards will be loved.