I finally found a way to use the cotton doilies my MIL Winnie made. I dyed some of them along with cotton fabrics and today I made a Murphy Bag using one of them. The doilies are beautifully made but were stained from age and use. They took the dyes perfectly.
It's a functional embellishment because it is pockets!
I machine quilted the other side which added another cool texture to the bag.
Here is a close-up of the pockets - I put my camera and some sunglasses to give you an idea of how they look full. I wouldn't recommend putting a pen or your wedding ring in them but they are nice for keys, cell phone, etc.
One more close up of the pockets. I zig-zag stitched the doily to the front so it should stay until the next ice age.