Friday, July 02, 2010

Recycling Family Treasures

I finally found a way to use the cotton doilies my MIL Winnie made. I dyed some of them along with cotton fabrics and today I made a Murphy Bag using one of them. The doilies are beautifully made but were stained from age and use. They took the dyes perfectly.

It's a functional embellishment because it is pockets!
I machine quilted the other side which added another cool texture to the bag.
Here is a close-up of the pockets - I put my camera and some sunglasses to give you an idea of how they look full. I wouldn't recommend putting a pen or your wedding ring in them but they are nice for keys, cell phone, etc.

One more close up of the pockets. I zig-zag stitched the doily to the front so it should stay until the next ice age.


7 comments:

imquilternity said...

Absolutely stunning! What a wonderful idea. It's really gorgeous.

Finishing Lines by K.Sperino said...

I love it! :)

Kevin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kevin said...

I remember my mother making those what a great use for the...so talented!

Jaye said...

What a great idea, Kathleen! I have a number of doilies from various grandmothers and I have never known what to do with them. I love the idea of embellishing a bag (or even a block!) with a doily. I am so glad you posted.

shirley said...

what if you backed the doily with some satin. then nothing would fall out of the pocket. that is a very cool idea.....might need to borrow it for the next bag. thanks for sharing.

Kathleen McKenna Murphy said...

Shirley I have been thinking about ways to back it so I can use the other pieces I dyed that have larger "holes". Silk is a great idea!