Friday, September 10, 2010

IQF Silent Auction Quilt "Hot and Cold"


I have been asked again this year to make a quilt for the International Quilt Festival's Silent Auction. The Festival is in Houston at one of the best quilt shows in the world. I have been twice and had an amazing time both visits.
I love the way it looks from an angle. I named it Hot and Cold 20"x16". I used Mistyfuse to applique - it's so lightweight that it didn't change the hand of the fabric at all.
I used my Batik scraps which wasn't hard...they are all beautiful and blend so easily. I used a blanket stitch to appliquilt the shapes on. This way I secured my applique' and did my quilting at the same time...love efficiency:)
After piecing my strips I used Mistyfuse to prepare for the appliquilting. It is the perfect fusible! I killed two birds with one stone when I made this quilt.  I have a good friend who is a fabulous quilter, her name is Sue Pelland. She came up with a brilliant idea for a template that would allow you to cut several leaves at a time. Her templates Leaves Galore are absolutely genius! Sue gave me a set of the templates and her Quilters Chalk Line for  helping her at one of her shows. I wanted to make a sample for her as a thank you for the rulers and thought this would be a good way to play with template and make my auction piece. Sue will be in Houston this year so look for her...you will be glad you met her:)

The Quilters Chalk Line allows you to mark lines for perfect placement of your pieces. It disappears when ironed. Notice the orange charm? Sue is giving a portion of her profits to help find a cure for Leukemia~
This is the template I used for my quilt it's the middle one. There are so many ways to use this and the markings will ensure that you get great results.
Here are the three templates I have to play with!

2 comments:

Terri Stegmiller said...

Loving this quilt. Great color, design, and movement!

Judy said...

Beautiful Kathleen! Very innovative.

xo