Sunday, October 31, 2010

life changing quilt....

It's Blogger's Quilt Fest this week and I knew right away what quilt I wanted to blog about...
This quilt was my first art quilt (1996) it's a replication of The Artist's Garden in Giverny - Monet
It was made in the same way I replicated a Rembrandt with magazine paper in a college art class...This was life changing for me. I had found my medium....fabric...which I like stitched and embellished. Making this quilt changed my life. I knew from the time I hung it up on the wall that this is what I wanted to do...whenever I had the time.
I hand sewed about 1000 (yes I wrote 1000) glass beads on it. I used monofilament thread.
I used 2" squares...I made this in 1996 when watercolor packets were popular...

This was the second quilt I machine quilted...it was 1996 and not too many were doing it, but I didn't have time to hand quilt. I love to machine quilt and consider it part of the whole design process.

9 comments:

MARIKA said...

Very much dear beautiful Quilt and that wonderful one a lot glass beads .

Denise :) said...

This is gorgeous; I can't believe you hand stitched on all those beads! Wow! :)

Fabric Warrior said...

How very inspiring. You chose a wonderful image to replicate, and you did a great job doing it.

AnnieO said...

Great inspiration and an extreme dedication to detail--1000 beads on such a small quilt is astounding! Glad you found your place to create! Thanks for sharing your quilt's story :)

Lonci said...

That is absolutely beautiful, i love this:)

Melody said...

This is a wonderful quilt, Thanks for sharing.

Teje said...

Hello Kathleen! This Quilt Festival is great idea! I found you and your most amazing creations! I shall have so wonderful time enjoying all your works! Thank you for lovely moments!
Best wishes from Finnish woman living in Crete! Teje

Rachaeldaisy said...

This a such a beautiful quilt! So much work has gone into it. All those beads. It must sparkle like a dewy morning when the light hits it.

Jolanda Pandiscia said...

Fantastic work! I love impressionists and your quilt is a jewel. jolanda - atelierarte.blogspot.com