Tuesday, January 04, 2011

the sketchbook challenge - Highly Prized

I am following along with the Sketchbook Challenge with some very talented artist and enjoying every bit of it. I love carrying around the supplies and taking the opportunity when it comes ~ this sketch took 3 days to finish.
The theme is Highly Prized...this was easy to express and was a great way to do inventory of what's important!  I chose my kids, my marriage, my sight and some lovely treasures from my Grandmother Vava. The mirror in the sketch was hers and now hangs in my dining room. As I sketched it I could see the collection of blue and white plates she passed to me that started me collecting them back in my 20's.
Unfortunately I started it in a small sketchbook so I ran out of room...I will use my bigger SB for the rest of the challenge. I did use my new Swarovski Crystal Pencil!!!! I love it so much it has a crystal on the tip:)

To do my eye I enlarged  a photo of me and sketched in front of my laptop....
I used a favorite photo of my kids for the shot of them. It was interesting to look so closely at them trying to capture who they are on paper I will keep practicing:)
You can participate too ~ just go here. Don't say you can't draw, you can, you just need practice and this will ensure that. If you want to check out all the very cool sketchbooks go here...

5 comments:

Sue Bleiweiss said...

awesome page Kathleen!

quilthexle said...

What a great page! This challenge came just in time - it will be sooo much fun to see what everybody comes up with this year.

Karen S said...

This is a really great sketch! I love all your subject matter.

Elizabeth said...

What wonderful sketches!!!! I love the sketch of your beautiful kids!!!
What kind of blueplates do you collect??? Royal Copenhagen Christmas plates play a huge role in my family history. I have my own small collection! See you at the Challenge- I ma there too- can't draw as well as you but I am struggling along- don't give up, right???

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

I love your sketches, Kathleen. I am also participating in the challenge. I did my dog for the first sketch because I was in the mountains and she was an available model! (and highly prized, of course!)