Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Tutorial on making pillows with piping and a zipper

While making some pillows for a client I thought it might be nice to show a visual tutorial of how to make a throw pillow with pipping and a zipper.


I made the piping first. Cut the fabric on the bias, I try to piece the piping in a way so the fabric's colors match up. The width of the Bias strip should be 3 x's the width of the piping.


I use my serger on all edges of the fabric/piping for a nice clean finish. If you don't have a serger you can zig zag or use pinking shears. 


I cut the fabric about an inch larger than the finished pillow.  
Cut one side of the pillow pieces with an extra flap which you will sew the zipper to and create the flange that hides the zipper. It's size of the extra flap is determined by the width of your zipper. I made mine 1" and folded it over at 1".


I cut the corners of the square so that the pillow doesn't have pointy corners.


Sew the zipper to the flange (right side of zipper facing down).


I start with the zipper open and then close it - it's easier....



Sew the piping to the other square of fabric with a zipper foot or a piping foot. Make several small cuts at the corners being careful not to clip past your stitching line.


Pin the front and back together and stitch as close to the piping as possible, you may need to go around the pillow a second of time. You will sew in the other half of the zipper at this time. If you prefer you can sew the back to the front at the zipper first and then stitch the other three sides. 
 

The flange that hides the zipper




I used down fillers in these pillows which I recommend if you are going to go to the trouble of making a pillow :)

3 comments:

Judy said...

How did you know that I was about to make some new pillows? I HATE this job, but your tutorial makes it sound like it's almost fun....I will follow your tute this time! Thank you so very, very much!

xo

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Hi darling, what a great tutorial. I've never put a zipper on a pillow, with your instructions I'm sure going to try. hugs ~lynne~

Anonymous said...

So is the zipper hidden, so that the pillow is also reversible?