Thursday, April 14, 2011

first attempt at painting clogs!

 
I've been wanting a pair of painted clogs forever! A friend gave me a pair to practice on and I finally got the chance to do it. I have a sprained ankle and should be off my feet. I could do this sitting down.  I referred to Lyric Kinard's great tutorial! She explained it so simply and her painted shoes are the coolest. She used DecoColor pens but I didn't have any. I did have a lot of acrylic paints that I bought and really should use.
I will get some of the pens though, straight lines were a challenge for me. 

 
I painted the main butterfly in the Liquitex to make an orange. Next I mixed black and a little bit of the white pearl for the black. Then I coated the whole thing in the pink iridescent interference color called whirlwind from Stewart Gill. I sprayed it with a clear coat varnish. I did a few coats and I think I'll try a flat finish next time.  I used the white Elmers Painters ink marker for the dots on the wings.
Reminder ~ these are the first pair, I learned a lot about a steady hand in painting!


They're going to a friend who works in a local library. She's been busily working on our family genealogy for the past year - I can't wait to see what she has found!


 Now to think about what I'll do on my pair....

4 comments:

Vicki W said...

These are fabulous! I can't wait to see the next pair.

Barb Forrister said...

Now those are just fantastic!

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

Way cool!

ButterYum said...

So cool! I've always wondered how they do that. Do you know how the pair you painted held up?

:)
ButterYum