Thursday, April 21, 2011

Winging it works better for me

I'm always amazed by large applique quilts when I go to quilt shows. I even bought a pattern a few years ago - Stars in the Garden by Piece O' Cake Designs. Recently at a local quilt show I saw several versions of it, all beautiful and each one very different. For several days I looked at the pattern and directions but something was bothering me. I realized I didn't want to make someone else's quilt, I wanted to do my own thing. I'm bad about following directions, I work better winging it!



Within a matter of an hour I had planned out the whole quilt. I'm making 12  22" blocks. Each block will be a different butterfly using one batik and 4 coordinating hand dyed fabrics. I've been thinking of a way to use a bunch of my hand dyed fabric in one quilt since my first batch of hand dyed fabrics were folded and put on the shelf.


 
I don't care how long it takes to make. It's my nature to finish one quilt at a time (for the most part) but I am going to work on this over time. There is no rush. I think this quilt will be for one of my daughters when they get married. Ideally I'll have 10 years to finish this...hint, hint:)



Choosing the fabrics was easy, fast and fun. I love this part of the process. The batik leaf fabric is a favorite of mine and I was so happy to find in a tiny quilt shop in Sturbridge, MA called the Quilt & Cabbage.




I'm not sure how I'll use this fabric in the quilt yet, but I have plenty of time and yardage to figure it out.




I'm using Mistyfuse and I pre-cut it to make the fusing part easier. Below is my new large Goddess cloth, a smaller Goddess cloth and the tools I use to keep them clean. 




I plan to do all the appliqueing and quilting in black thread, I think it will accentuate the fabrics beautifully but mostly it will be simpler and I'm all about making things simple.



4 comments:

Jolanda said...

I am really intrigued in seeing the progress your quilt will make. The fabrics are beautifull! :)

Terri Stegmiller said...

I'm betting your quilt will be beautiful, judging from those fabulous fabrics.

Lonci said...

Fabulous fabrics,what lovely colors:)
Happy Easter:))

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

That will be a gorgeous quilt! I love that leaf batik too.