Sunday, May 15, 2011

Embellished

Embellished 16" x 20"
This is my piece for the Fiberactions online challenge this month. It was my turn to choose the word for this challenge, I chose Embellish.


 I chose that word so that I would use up some of the fun materials I've purchased or been given over the years. I used a piece of hand dyed fabric from Vicki Welsh for the foundation. I made fabric using Mistyfuse and Angelina Fibers. I cut them with my Leaves Galore template. I chose to hand stitch using a hand dyed flossI purchased 10 years ago from Friends Fabric Art. The silk was tricky, I could only use it in 10" pieces because it would shred from the stress of being pulled by the needle through the fabric.


I embellished each curve with french knots using hand dyed cotton floss, variegated wool yarn, glass beads and Swarovski hotfix crystals. I felt like doing some machine quilting so I used an Aurifil thread in a coordinating green.


I love the iridescence from the Angelina fibers so I chose to leave some without any embellishment. I faced it completely and closed it on the side because the back was a mess!


Now go check out all the other pieces made for this challenge at the Fiberactions blog.

5 comments:

Leslie McNeil of MarveLes Art Studios said...

Kathleen! This is COOL! I love, love, it!

Deb Levy said...

Wonderful piece Kathleen, great use of your embellishments.

Elizabeth said...

Oh I can tell that you ahd some fun here!! Love all that you did and the color!!! It was very adult of you to use all the stuff that you already had and not use this as an excuse to go out and buy more!!!!!!LOL!!!
Beautiful!!

Anna said...

It is so fun to see your choice of design and use of materials. I get so excited to see creativity. It's inspiring! Keep up the wonderful postings.

sue pelland said...

Hi Kathleen, Still in Salt Lake looking at your beautiful embellished quilt online. Love the use of all the beads, silk threads and especially the Leaves Galore Templates! The Angelina fabric and crystals must be beautiful and shiny, can't wait to see this piece! Thanks for sharing.