Tuesday, May 31, 2011

I made my own sketchbook

My friend Sue helped a group of us make our own sketchbooks in her new studio. She let us choose from her awesome paper stash and guided us on the construction to make our own sketchbook.

I chose the pink and brown paper as my main design element and then added other pieces to accent it.

The pages are a variety of textures and colors. Circles are a reoccurring theme. 

handmade sketchbook 9" x 12"
This is the first sketch in the book, I'm working on designs from nature that will someday be fiber art .

I drew these dogwood flowers using the paper on the left as my inspiration.

I used my watercolor pencils for this sketch, I plan to go over it with a wet brush to blend the colors.

I used my set of black and gray markers to draw the trees in the woods out back just as they began to bud.




I filled this page during a town meeting. I used the cover paper as a reference. I hope to fill this in with color.

4 comments:

Leslie McNeil of MarveLes Art Studios said...

Oh, I think your sketchbook is going to be a lovely expression! Love the woods sketch, in particular.

Sue Bleiweiss said...

it's awesome Kathleen!

Plush Possum Studio said...

Wow! This really has visual impact! Personally, your paisley sketch caught my eye most of all. But the book itself is so dramatically new and lively--I may just have to try this on for size, with a different colorway....
Rose
a new follower!

Whimsical Folk Art Blog said...

very cute...great idea!