Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Mother's Day Blog Hop

I was invited by collage artist Claudine Intner to Blog about motherhood and welcomed the opportunity. My life has been dedicated to being a mother for 19 years. I have four kids and I love them with my whole heart. 

Morgan

Jillian

Paige

Griffin
I've tried to share my love of sewing and all things fiber with my kids. Below is a quilt started by my daughter Jillian five years ago. She chose all the fabrics from my stash and began piecing the blocks together. She lost interest and it sat in a box for a few years. About a year ago I decided I would finish it for her and give it to her as a graduation gift. 

She is going to get black and white bedding for her college dorm, should be pretty sharp looking. I put a floral flannel on the back and the binding to make it nice an cozy for the cold nights in Boston.



I made this quilt with my daughter Paige when she was 8, she pieced the large 9 patch squares and made several of the snowball blocks around the outside. 


My friend Kathy Sperino quilted it for me.


I made this quilt for my daughter Morgan as a graduation gift last year. She chose all of the fabrics, too. She took it to college with her - a little piece of home and her mom.


I'm planning a quilt for Griffin, the youngest, with his help. I sketched out 12 blocks with different sports equipment and he has redrawn each one with details and color options.

My kids are artistic not because of genetics but because we have always had markers and paper at our fingertips and drawing has been encouraged. It's helpful to let them express their art because they understand my need to be in my studio. I hope that they will incorporate art into their lives no matter their chosen profession. It's good for the soul!

Please go and visit the other Mother's Day Blog Hop participants, too!

2 comments:

Claudine Intner said...

Thank you for participating, Kathleen! I appreciate it. The quilts are amazing. I love that you have done portraits of all of them. I was thinking of doing a little sewing with my boys this summer. Maybe pillows.

Hannah Phelps said...

What lucky children - a mom who makes sure they have homemade quilts!

Beautiful work!