Monday, October 24, 2011

Memorial quilts - made from his shirts

Back in the spring one of our wonderful 2nd grade teachers lost her husband to a brain tumor. They have three beautiful daughters. We were all heart broken for their family. I didn't know her very well but when I saw her walking in to school a few weeks later I asked if I could give her a hug, it felt good. A few days later I got an email asking if I would make quilts for her and her three daughters using his shirts.
I have made a handful of memorial quilts for people, it's an awesome experience. It's difficult but therapeutic. I'm aware of the loss with every stitch but I think about the comfort having these textures to touch will be to his family.

This is the first one I finished. His shirts are the gray and white plaids.
I found the perfect flannel for the back of each quilt, nice and cozy.
I stitched the binding down using a blanket stitch, it should be nice and sturdy and last a long time. It's been a true honor to make these quilts.



Here are three of them in different stages, I have finished them and will photograph and blog about later.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a blessing to the family, I'm sure! You do beautiful work Kathleen!

Cheryl Brule

Anonymous said...

I did a very similar thing for my brother-in-law and 2 nieces when my sister passed away 7 years ago. Your statement about therapeutic is very accurate. I dreaded making the first cut, but after that it gave me a great peace. My nieces still use their quilts and mention many times how comforting they are!

Superior Threads said...

Your post tugged at my heartstrings. I can imagine all three of them wrapped up in the memories of their husband/father. Thank you for sharing it.

Ricci

Leslie McNeil of MarveLes Art Studios said...

What a lovely idea. I know this will be a wonderful comfort, and a blessing for you,Kathleen.

quilthexle said...

What a wonderful work of love you do - in a very special way. The quilts sure will be very comforting for the family!

Crystal @ Custom Memorial Quilts said...

Beautiful work! I also identify with "difficult but therapeutic." I've been creating custom memorial quilts from clothing for several years, after my DIL asked me to do so with her dad's clothes. Each one is an emotional experience, whether or not I personally know the people.

tangled stitch said...

What a beautiful idea and they are beautiful quilts!