Wednesday, April 11, 2012

neck coolers for soldiers tutorial

 I got an email from a Marine Mom of Bethesda, Maryland who wanted to know how to make some neck coolers for her son and his troop deployed to Afghanistan. I told her I would make them for her. I reached out to Cathy Racine of The Charlton Sewing Center to find out where I could get the soil moist pellets.


 She, in her usual generous fashion, said the store would host an urgent session to make what was needed!
Within a week there were 10 ladies, some snacks and a pile of finished neck coolers, two for each soldier. One in Military Camouflage from Fields Fabrics and one in a pea green they can wear while on base.You can google military camouflage to find other sources of fabrics.


Here is how the neck cooler works, so cool! My husband (retired Army) and I went to Target and filled the rest of the box with candy, soap, powdered drink packets and gum.


To make a neck cooler: 
1 cut fabric 4x44 - fold in 1/2 the long way
2 starting at the center of the neck cooler sew 4 (2 on the left and 2 on the right of center) 2" wide pockets
3 fill the pockets with 1/6 teaspoon with soilmoist
4 serge or zigzag the side with the open pockets (careful the pellets done spill out) and the two ends
type, print, cut and staple directions to each neck cooler. 
*Use Military fabric like I found at Fields Fabrics, otherwise they won't be able to use them while in uniform.

If you have any questions send me an email quiltsomuch@aol.com

6 comments:

Jane said...

What a wonderful thing you ladies did! Thank you for giving your resources and your time, and most especially, Thank You for caring and supporting the Troops!

Finishing Lines by K.Sperino said...

This is great Kathleen, and leave it to Cathy to, again, extend her generous hands. Brava

Anonymous said...

Kathleen - how can I ever thank-you for your generosity of making these neck coolers for my son's Marine Corps Weapons Co brothers that are currently serving in Afghanistan. After my contacting you, the quick action that you and your group of friends went to work to provide not one but two neck coolers for each Marine is amazing! The Marines should be receiving them very soon, just in time as the temperatures are steadily rising there. A special thank-you to you and your hubby for adding in the extra goodies in the boxes.

Anonymous said...

My son is part of Weapons Co who will receive your neck cooler. I wanted to drop you a quick thank you for your generosity.

Boo said...

Kathleen,
I too have a son with the weapons company that you have made these for. I just wanted to thank you and let you know how much your generousity of your time and talents are appreciated. Thank you thank you thank you!!!
Becka Ott, Utah

violet said...

I made 438 of these for a mission project. No where in any of the sites was addresses the fact that the beads fade and stain the fabric, clothes and necks of the wearer. I rinsed the coolers 4 times and the color was mostly gone. Either rinse before using or be sure to get only white ones