Saturday, September 15, 2012

Triadic Fruit - Fiberactions Challenge Quilt


  Here is my latest Fiberactions challenge quilt, the challenge was to use a triadic color scheme - three colors evenly spaced on the color wheel. I used my own hand-dyed fabrics with a coordinating batik. I loved fussy cutting the hand-dyed fabrics to take advantage of where the lights were. 






I did a little zig-zag with my feed dogs down to do the applique. I have a Bernina 440 QE so I use my knee lift to help around the curves. 


I used polyester threads to free motion quilt the fruits and bowl because I had them in the right colors, normally I use cotton. I used a tan and a white cotton, to try to show some shadow, to quilt the background. 


I sewed the sleeve onto the back before I attached it to the quilt when I was facing it. It was so easy, I'll definitely do that again. Hopefully I'll get it here on my blog as a tutorial. 




Triad 

A triadic color scheme uses colors that are evenly spaced around the color wheel.
Triadic color harmonies tend to be quite vibrant, even if you use pale or unsaturated versions of your hues.
To use a triadic harmony successfully, the colors should be carefully balanced - let one color dominate and use the two others for accent.

3 comments:

Terry@ a quilting blog said...

This is just so beautiful....love the colors and your quilting!! TFS

Donna~~ said...

Very cool! Really like what you did!

FoulkeArt said...

Gorgeous fabrics, as always! I always enjoy color wheel challenges.