Thursday, November 15, 2012

Fiberactions Neutral Challenge

Our Fiberactions challenge quilt had to be done in neutral colors. It took me a a month to come up with an idea. Neutrals don't appeal to me. 
 I have been driving in and out of Boston often in the last three years with our daughters both at Northeastern. I love the sky line - so many interesting buildings. I sketched this out freehand based on a photo and my own interpretation :) There are some errors which I will correct next time. I was chatting on the phone with one of the daughters while I drew and cut it out...lesson learned. 

Boston in Black and White
25" x 20" 

I have tons of black and white scraps from my Murphy Bags. I had fun choosing which one would be the windows for each building. 


I had the black and white dot background and was able to use it as a whole cloth that I appliqued the buildings on to using Mistyfuse and a free motion zigzag stitch.  



The quilting reminds me of the Lenny Zakem Bridge and of the steel frames that lie below each glass facade. 




 You can see more of the Fiberactions Challenge quilts on the blog here.....

2 comments:

MulticoloredPieces said...

Hi, Kathleen. The challenge was met successfully! Nothing like the drama of black and white. Love your use of fabrics.
best, nadia

Judy Cooper Textile Images said...

Interesting sky line!