Monday, July 15, 2013

Fiberactions - Colors in your closet

Our most recent Fiberactions challenge was to use our closet for our color palette/inspiration. I have a lot of black and white, a ton - so I focused on the other colors in my closet, which the majority are periwinkle blue and a little pink and turquoise. 
Winter Blues 32" x 28 "



 I used 5 different batiks in the background to create the setting sun. I cut the pine tree branches out of two large pieces of Mistyfused fabric. I'm liking this cut-fabric method. I cut the holes somewhat purposefully but also somewhat willy-nilly :)


I quilted the sky and ground using the fabrics motif using pink Aurifil cotton thread to try to blend the fabrics/colors. 






Check out the other Fiberactions Challenge quilts on the blog


3 comments:

Donna~~ said...

I love it Kathleen--it's stunning! The pink colors are perfect and cutting that batik up worked so well for the trees. The two fabrics you chose for the trunks are great as well. Even my husband (who couldn't care less about quilts) saw it on your blog and was interested. Truly a beautiful piece.

Diane Perin Hock said...

This is just stunning and creates this light effect so beautifully.

Quilt or Dye said...

I do really love the effect you have achieved!